Bustier breastfeeding moms face several challenges when choosing a nursing or maternity bra. Similarly, those who love the comfort of wearing a nursing tank also face difficulties when choosing the best nursing tanks for large breasts. Nursing tanks are not very common in the market so getting one that fits perfectly and offers maximum support and comfort is quite challenging for bustier women. This article will thus focus on nursing tanks and bras for large breasts and how to choose a perfect fit.
A quick comparison table for the best nursing tank tops for large breasts
|Bravado! Designs Women's Dream Nursing Tank||•Built in bra
•Drop down cups
•Innerwear and outerwear
|iLoveSIA 2Pack Seamless Nursing Cami Tank Top||•Built in bra
•Innerwear and outerwear
•Drop down cups
•Great for sleeping
|HDE Womens V Neck Ruched Sleeveless Tank Top||•Past Hip length
•No built in bra
•Very soft and comfortable material
•Hides postpartum belly
|Bearsland Women's Maternity Nursing Tank Tops||•Super soft and comfy material
•Wide variety of colours
•Covers postpartum belly very well
•Can be won during pregnancy and nursing
|SUIEK Nursing Tops Tanks Shirt Cami||•Removable pads
•Good for outerwear
•Can be worn with a nursing bra
Are nursing camis really necessary?
I would say it all comes down to personal preferences.
Some nursing moms do not like showing a lot of skin when breastfeeding especially when in a public place. A nursing cover may come in handy but we all know that some babies do not like being covered while feeding especially when it is really hot.
Other moms find nursing tank tops very comfortable compared to maternity and nursing bras. So it all boils down to what you like.
Our top picks for best nursing tanks for large bust
Nursing tank with built-in bra/shelf bra for large cup sizes
A built-in bra is also known as a shelf bra. When shopping for a nursing tank top, it is important to choose one that has a built-in bra especially if you are a bustier lady.
This is because tanks with built-in bra offer an exceptional amount of support for your breasts so no need to wear something else like a t-shirt on top.
Some of the most sought after nursing tank tops with built in bra for large breasts are the Bravado designs and the ILoveSIA seamless cami.
- This is one of the best nursing tanks for large breasts based on the fact that it has a built-in nursing bra. This means that you get the benefits of a nursing bra and a tank top all in one bravado nursing tank.
- Just like with a normal nursing bra, this tank has a drop down cup that allows you to easily breastfeed your baby even in public.
- The built-in bra offers maximum support even for full breasts hence no need to wear another bra inside. You can, therefore, wear this tank as outerwear just like your normal tops without feeling uncomfortable.
- This tank is made from a very soft and thick material that is very comfortable to the skin.
- Another important feature is that the tanks are long enough (around hip length).
- They also fit loosely so you do not have to worry about your post-pregnancy belly being exposed to the world.
- To top it all up, this tank comes with removable pads to ensure your breasts are well shaped as well as to provide extra coverage. This makes it even more ideal for outerwear.
- Nursing moms who have worn this tank have however complained about having a hard time unfastening the clasps with one hand after breastfeeding.
Seamless nursing cami with built-in cups
One benefit of a tank top is that it can double as an innerwear and outerwear. As an innerwear, the tank provides good support for your breasts as well as your belly so that it doesn’t show through your clothing especially after delivery.
If you are looking for a tank top that you can wear inside your clothes, then a seamless nursing tank is ideal for layering.
A seamless tank is designed with no seams thus does not show through the clothes. They are usually made of a single fabric that does not have any form of stitching.
There are several seamless nursing tanks for large breasts available in the market, but let us review one that has built-in cups.
- This nursing cami is perfect for wearing under a shirt since it is seamless
- It has built-in cups that drop down on one hand for easy breastfeeding
- It is made of a stretchy high-quality fabric that helps to accommodate your changing breasts and belly size since it can also be worn as a maternity tank top.
- The cami comes with removable pads that provide shape as well as discretion in case you opt to wear it as an outerwear
- For moms who like sleeping in a bra when nursing, this seamless cami is very comfortable as a sleep cami with shelf bra.
- However, some nursing moms have found that the foam cups are very thin and thus wear out easily.
Nursing tank for large breasts without built in bra
Not every nursing mom will find nursing tanks with built-in bras comfortable.
For some, the shelf bra may not provide as much support as an actual nursing bra. Hence, they may need to wear a nursing bra under a camisole for maximum support. The cami, in this case, would just help to cover the mid-section when breastfeeding.
For this reason, a nursing tank without a shelf bra would be ideal.
However, most tanks have shelf bras and so finding one without a built-in bra especially for a largely breasted mom is not easy.
I would, therefore, recommend getting one that comes with removable pads so that you can get rid of the pads and wear your supportive nursing bra instead. An example of this is the SUIEK Nursing top tank.
Most Stylish nursing tops
Breastfeeding tops do not always have to be dull. You do not have to walk around with a top that screams “I am nursing” because they now come in a variety of styles and colours. The bearsland and HDE Women V-neck are among the most stylish nursing tanks on the market. They come in a variety of colors and are fashionably designed.
- They come in a variety of colors and prints.
- Whether going shopping, traveling, or simply staying at home, you can wear one and look very stylish.
- They are good for breastfeeding when in public because you do not even need a nursing cover. The front side has ruffles. Under the top ruffle, there is an opening which allows you to breastfeed your baby easily. As the baby feeds, the ruffles cover your breast thus making it very discrete. People will not easily notice you are breastfeeding unless they are really keen.
- The ruffles also cover the belly fat pretty well, which gives you confidence.
- I also like the fact that the back side does not the ruffles. This looks flattering especially when you get the right fit; not too tight or too loose.
- You can easily adjust the straps to a comfortable length. You can make the straps longer so that the top reaches mid-thigh and you wear it with a pair of leggings. Also, you can shorten the straps so that the top reaches hip length then you can wear it with your favorite jeans.
The only issue with this nursing tank tops is that:
- The straps are thin, so your bra straps will probably show at the shoulders.
- It’s fitting is a bit small; you might have to buy a size up based on your normal size. For instance, if you wear a small size, medium size will fit well.
- It has a ruched waist which not only flatters your waistline by making it look slimmer but also hides that postpartum belly fat.
- The V neck eases nursing and also shows off a bit of the cleavage. For this reason, you can actually wear it on a night out with friends.
- If you are uncomfortable showing cleaving, you can wear a camisole underneath to cover the V neck.
- The soft yet stretchy material makes it very comfortable.
- It has a small fitting, so you may need to get a size bigger than your normal size.
Benefits of wearing nursing tanks for large breasts
Nursing tanks enable breastfeeding mothers to nurse their babies discreetly especially when in public or around friends and relatives. You do not have to expose your tummy when feeding the baby or expose your entire breast too like in the case of normal bras.
Nursing tanks, unlike bras, are very convenient. If your baby wants to feed, nursing tops allow you to access your breasts quite easily.
I particularly like nursing tank tops because I can wear them just like a normal t-shirt since they resemble normal clothes. So, you do not have to wear something else on top of a nursing tank if you do not feel like it especially during hot weather.
Nursing tanks with built-in bras give you maximum comfort because they support the breasts pretty well. It is like wearing a bra and a t-shirt only that this time they are attached together.
Best nursing bras for large breasts
Nursing mums with large cup sizes also have a hard time choosing the right bra for large breasts. Breasts tend to become very heavy during nursing; hence, proper support is needed through the use of a comfortable nursing bra because the normal bra may become very uncomfortable.
A bra that does not fit properly may cause milk ducts to clog thereby resulting in breast engorgement among other problems. In this section of the review, we shall look at the best nursing bras for large breasts so as to help you find the most comfortable size for them.
Our Top 3 Best Nursing Bras for large breasts Review
Bravado Designs maternity and nursing bra
If you are looking for a nursing bra that will provide you with comfort and support as well as give your breasts a good shape when breastfeeding, the Bravado seamless nursing bra is just perfect.
It comes with removable nursing pads that shape your breast really well. The removable pads also help to soak in milk when it leaks so no need for nursing pads.
The bra is made of a very soft fabric. Thus, you do not itch or experience irritation since the material is very high quality.
According to nursing mums who have used these bras, they are their go-to-bras. This is because they are the most comfortable nursing bras for large cup sizes that fit perfectly. They also offer maximum support even without an underwire.
An underwire as explained earlier can obstruct the flow of milk especially when your breasts are really full. This can lead to breast engorgement.
Unlike other lined nursing bras, the Bravado seamless bra is very light in weight so it can be worn under any clothes including tank tops and fitting t-shirts.
- Fits both small and large cup sizes perfectly
- Very comfortable
- Offers maximum support
- Made of high-quality fabric
- Relatively expensive
HOFISH Nursing and Maternity Bra
The HOFISH 3 Pack full bust seamless nursing and maternity bras are my all-time favourite nursing bras for small busts. Apart from the fact that they are very comfortable and offer maximum support, the HOFISH nursing bras come in a pack of 3. Each pack has different colours and extra extensions and clips.
These bras double as maternity and nursing bras so you can purchase and use them during pregnancy and post pregnancy.
The extensions are meant to allow you to adjust the bra fitting according to your size as your breasts continue to grow during pregnancy and nursing.
The HOFISH bras also come with removable light pads, which are designed to give your breasts a good shape and fit. If you do not like the pads, you can easily remove them and the bra will still give you full support and comfort. However, for modesty reasons, you need to keep the removable pads, especially when in public.
It is made from a very soft fabric that stretches really well to allow maximum coverage. The material is also breathable; hence no itching or irritation.
- Soft and comfortable
- They are well priced
- Do not have an underwire
- Can be worn both in pregnancy and nursing
- Easy to clip on and off during feeding
- The company’s bra sizing chart may not give you the correct size
Kindred Bravely Maternity and Nursing Sleep Bra
It is amazing how this bra looks simple yet has a lot of benefits to offer. The Kindred Bravely Nursing bra for maternity and breastfeeding is the best nursing sleep bra for both small and large busts currently available in the market.
If you are looking for a comfortable nursing bra that you can wear at night or just around the house, then this is your go-to-bra.
Despite not having an underwire, clasps and hooks, this nursing bra offers maximum support to nursing moms with both small and large cup sizes.
It is made of a very soft and high-quality material that easily stretches. This allows it to fit the changing breast sizes as well as to enable you to pull it aside when breastfeeding.
This bra can also be worn as a nursing sports bra for both small and large breasts. However, it is appropriate for light exercises such as yoga and walking.
Another important feature is that the waistband is not made of actual elastic; hence, no stretching overtime or irritation.
- Light in weight
- A perfect fit for small and large cup sizes
- Soft and comfortable
- Can be worn during pregnancy as well as post pregnancy
- Can feel a little uncomfortable at the shoulders due to the weight of the breasts
- The nursing pads may not stay in place well if the cups are loose
Choosing the best nursing bras for small and large breasts
When buying nursing bras for large cup sizes, you should consider the following important features.
- A nursing bra should not have an underwire
According to lactation experts, a good nursing bra should not have an underwire. This is because it can prevent the flow of milk thereby causing clogged milk ducts. This may lead to breast engorgement or cause an infection known as mastitis, which is very painful.
- It should stretch easily
The anxiety to have everything ready before the baby comes leads most moms-to-be to buy nursing bras during pregnancy and keep them till the baby comes.
However, breasts tend to increase in size during pregnancy by about 1 or 2 cup sizes or more and increase even further once the baby is born as the breasts start filling with milk.
It is therefore advisable to buy nursing bras that stretch easily so that they can accommodate your breasts as they increase in size.
- It should offer maximum support
Perfect nursing bras for both small and large cup sizes should offer maximum support. The last thing you want when breastfeeding is sagging breasts due to the heavy weight of the milk.
The back band of the bra provides the most support. Hence, when fitting for a nursing bra ensure that the back band is fitted on the loosest hook. This will enable you to adjust the bra according to how tight or loose you want it once the baby comes.
- It should be comfortable for nighttime feeding
When nursing you will probably leak milk even at night. For this reason, you need a good bra that is comfortable to sleep in and can hold the nursing pads in place.
A sleep bra is considered ideal for nighttime feeding since it offers comfort and it is not too tight.
- It should fit comfortably
A nursing bra that fits perfectly is very important for a nursing mom. A bra that fits properly will not only provide the much-needed support but also provide you with the maximum comfort when breastfeeding.
Experts recommend getting fitted for a nursing bra around the 8th month of pregnancy. They claim that this is the size that your breasts will be after your baby is born and once your body begins to regulate its milk supply.
The cup should also fit correctly without leaving any room or fitting too tightly. This is why a good bra should be made of stretchy fabric to allow for changes in breasts as you continue to breastfeed.
Difference between maternity bra and nursing bra
As mentioned earlier, some moms-to-be buy nursing bras during pregnancy. This can be quite misleading because breasts keep growing throughout the pregnancy.
The best bras to wear during pregnancy are maternity bras.
These two types of bras differ on a number of features as you can see in the table below.
|Nursing bras||Maternity bras|
|Designed for breastfeeding only||Designed to be worn during pregnancy and breastfeeding|
|Have clip fastenings to allow drop-down during breastfeeding||Have adjustable straps for extra support.|
|Have a sling to allow the bra to remain in place when breastfeeding||Additional hook-n-eye to adjust according to size|
|Have a feeding hole for modesty during feeding||Does not have a feeding hole|